If you follow me on social media you may remember my frustration with there not being enough resources out there to help me keep track of important dates. I have been brainstorming ideas and searching apps for months now. My solution isn’t for the lazy at heart because this does require a little upfront work but IT’S WORTH IT! Believe me 😉
This post is sponsored by Basic Invite.
There are a few apps out there that do track birthdays but they are very limited. I wish I could build an app myself but for now, I have a step-by-step tutorial that I use to track important dates using Google Calendar.
Dates to Track:
- Wedding Anniversaries
- Death Anniversaries
- Baptism Birthdays
- Work Anniversaries
- Baby Due Dates
- Date your mama friend goes back to work after maternity leave
For the sake of simplicity, I am going to show you my process by entering a birthday. Start by opening Google Calendar. Choose the date the birthday lands on. Next, click the “plus” button and add an “Event.”
Once the event page opens you can enter the name of your friend/spouse/dog. Then click “does not repeat”.”
This step we will make sure your event is on your calendar every year. Once the window opens click “custom.”
Once the “custom” window opens enter the appropriate data for this event. For example, when entering a birthday you will choose Repeats Every “1 Year” and that the event does not have an end date. Some events may be monthly so make sure to choose the correct information in this step. Click done.
This step and the next are the MOST CRUCIAL for tracking those important dates so pay attention! We are going to set up a notification. Click “Add notification.” Once that window opens click “Custom…”
Type “1” in the top box, choose “week before” and then select “As email.” This will ensure there is an email sent to your email one week before the event. This should give you enough time to get a gift or a card in the mail but if you need more time you can definitely customize the details to you. Click done.
You can also add a description for more details of what you need to do or a reminder of more details about the event in the “description” box. Save the event!
The final event information:
The Email Reminder
Below is what the email reminder will look like when it is sent a week before the event. This will be your reminder to buy a gift, send a card, or prepare for a party!
I hope this tutorial wasn’t too complicated! This technique is for those people that regularly check their email so if you aren’t that person then this may not be the best option for you. With the current date tracking apps there was no way to send a reminder a week before and it was also hard to find a way to track any other dates than birthdays.
Now onto the fun part! Greeting cards!! I never seem to have the right greeting card on hand and when these important dates come up sometimes all I want to do is get a card in the mail. So thanks to Basic Invite for sponsoring this post. You can create custom greeting cards in any theme you can dream of!
More Information about Basic Invite:
- Almost Unlimited Colors- Basic Invite is one of the few websites that allows customers almost unlimited color options with instant previews online. Once you select a design, you can change the color of each element on the card. With over 180 colors to choose from, you can make sure the card is exactly how you want it. This is what sets us apart from almost any other online stationery company.
- Custom Samples- Basic Invite allows customers to order a printed sample of their actual invitation before they place their final order. They can see the paper quality and how it will print in real life and make sure the card is perfect.
- Over 40 Different Colors of Envelopes- Basic Invite has over 40 different envelope colors to choose from. With so many options, customers can make their envelope match the invitation. All of Basic Invite’s envelopes are peel and seal so the envelopes can be closed quickly and securely.
- Address Capturing Service- Basic Invite offers an address capturing service that allows customers to share a link on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media to request their friends and family’s addresses. The addresses are stored in the customer’s account and can be selected during the design process. Basic Invite offers recipient address printing at no cost on all card orders.
- Foil- Foil cards are available in gold, silver, and rose gold. Customers can choose flat or raised foil on all of Basic Invite’s foil designs.
You also know how much I love Christmas so just for those of you that are really on top of your game this year, Basic Invite has BEAUTIFUL Christmas photo cards, happy holidays cards, and company holiday cards too!
Check out Basic Invite below:
I have also linked a few card storage options below that would be fun to display in your kitchen or office:
Now that you have gone through my tutorial and have a great resource for finding beautiful greeting cards, I hope your life feels a little more simplified than it did before this post!
The opinions expressed here are that of Emily Fritsch from Lilies and Life. While the products in this post were given complimentary for this sponsored blog post, that does not alter the opinion of the products mentioned.